5th Grade-Ms. Shpizner
My name is Cara Shpizner. I love being a part of the community at LEAD, where staff, students, and parents support each other and take care of each other. I strive to create a community of learners in my classroom who support each other and learn from their mistakes. Through growth mindset, I aim to build students' confidence and strengthen their identities as learners. We focus on strategies rather than correct answers, becoming a positive group member, and learning from our mistakes to become stronger individuals and contributing members of society. I am very passionate about children's literature, and one of my favorite things to do is recommend a book to a child that I know they will love.
Fun Facts About Me
My favorite book is Harry Potter.
I have two dogs named Ari and Gordie, you can see pictures of them on my desk!
I was a ballet dancer for 10 years growing up and through college.
I love to knit; see if you can figure out which of my scarves and sweaters I've knit myself!
- I grew up in the San Mateo-Foster City School District! I went to Baywood Elementary and Borel Middle School.
- MA in Teaching Reading and Credential from University of San Francisco
- BA in Psychology and Child Development from Scripps College
- 30 minutes of math
- Students are asked to spend no more than 30 minutes on their math homework.
- 30-40 minutes of reading
- Students may bring home books from our classroom library, with the expectation that they will bring the book back the next day. If a student loses one of our classroom library books, they will be asked to replace it. If it happens more than once, they may lose the privilege of bringing books home.
- Status of the Class: instead of nightly reading logs, I hold students accountable for their nightly reading through Status of the Class, a process where every morning, I ask each student about what they are reading.
- Students are expected to practice their musical instrument for at least 10 minutes per night, and bring their instrument and music books to school every Wednesday for music
Ms. Cara Shpizner
(650) 312-7550 x4450
Please email me or call me with any questions or concerns. I am here to support you and your student, so please reach out at any time.