Celebrating our cultures at Lead
by Chad Slife, LEAD Principal
Dear LEAD Families,
Happy February and happy Black History Month! The past few weeks have brought rich conversations about culturally responsive teaching practices and celebrating the cultures of our students and families. We will share more ideas in February at our next Principal Chat on Wednesday, February 5 as well as further planning a Cinco de Mayo celebration event at our next ELAC (English Language Advisory Committee) meeting on Wednesday, February 19. All are welcome to come to these gatherings.
We want to continue exploring and creating events and activities for our students to celebrate their cultural heritage. Please continue to stay tuned through my newsletter, our Thursday packets, teacher Class Dojo pages, and School Messenger notices as more events, lessons, and activities roll out for students and families. Teachers are always introducing curriculum and books that honor our students and will continue to do so to celebrate Black History Month.
In addition to supporting Black History Month and all we do every day to support our Owls, please support our school through the San Mateo Foster City Education Foundation Readathon occurring now. Winter Wishes replaced our former Lead-only Readathon so PLEASE focus on this reading event through the Ed Foundation. For example, the Ed Foundation funds our Art-in-Action program, brings hundreds of books to our library, and provides Chromebooks to students, plus much more!
Lastly, as an important request, PLEASE do NOT park in the Employee-marked areas in our parking lot in front of school and ALWAYS enter our parking lot on Dale Ave. when driving. Please DO NOT block our morning and afternoon buses.
Please mark your calendars:
- SMFCEF Readathon from 1/27 to 2/7
- School Site Council meeting on Mon 2/3 from 3-4pm
- Spirit Day (Mismatch Day!) on Wed 2/5
- Principal Chat on Wed 2/5 at 8:15am in LGI
- Student Honor Assembly on Wed 2/5 – 11am for grades 2-5 and 11:30am for grades PreK-1 in LGI
- LCAP Community Meeting on Wed 2/12 @ Bayside MS
- Valentine’s Day Spirit Day (Wear red/pink/white) 2/14
- No School in honor of Presidents’ Day on Mon 2/17
- Cinco de Mayo Planning and ELAC on Wed 2/19 at 8:30am
What do LEAD Owls do?
HOOT with excellence!