Dear LEAD Elementary School Parents, Guardians and Families,
On behalf of our school staff, we all wish you a happy and joyous new year filled with happiness and peace. As we begin 2018, we would like to thank:
• Our wonderful PTA, parent volunteers and all families who attended our “Cookies and Karaoke” evening on Friday, December 16th. The evening was filled with music, crafts and lots of laughter and fun. A special “shout out” to Ms. Howell who represented our staff at this festive occasion. She and I were able to Karaoke together with some fun loving students!
• The many parent, grandparents and families who brought food, treats and handmade gifts for our faculty and staff. Your continued graciousness is most appreciated!
As we all begin the New Year 2018, please consider utilizing all of the many forms of Communication now offered to our school community so you are continually in the know.
• The Principal Newsletter is the main communication between home and school. Please read through the entire Newsletter on our web site or in hard copy in the Thursday packets. You’ll appreciate updates on all the current monthly happenings!
• The LEAD Marquee which is consistently updated and gives a snap shot of current and upcoming events scrolling digitally in both English and Spanish. Walk by, take a look and make a mental note!
• Email and Phone Blasts are communicated on an “as needed basis” for important school news and reminders.
• LEAD website: All things LEAD are here and you can link to classroom/ grade level web pages, supply lists, our LEAD PTA web site and everything else about our school!
2018-2019 Registration continues daily from 8:30-12:00 and 1:00-2:00 in the LEAD school office. Please bring in proof of residency, original birth certificate, immunization record and Parent ID with photo. If you know families in the area who will have TK/K students in the 18-19 school year, or are new to our community and have Grades 1-5 students, please let them know that registration this year is early! We don’t want them to miss out on enrolling at LEAD. We also have school tours; dates on the LEAD website: LEAD.smfcsd.net.
Are Your Ears Ringing? Over break our school was newly equipped with a new clock and sound system for bells and phones. Please be patient with us as our District fine tunes these new systems. You will hear a new bell sound at 8:00 AM! Please make sure your children are proceeding to line up for class when you hear this bell. If you are just pulling up into the Parking Lot at 8:00, your children at a disadvantage. Children are going into their classrooms at 8:00 with the tone and routines for the day being set, Thank you for helping us maximize our learning and instructional minutes with your children!
JANUARY AT A GLANCE:
Thursday, January 11th:
6:30 PM: PIP Parent Education: “The Role Fathers Play in the Lives of Their Children”
Monday, January 15th: No School: Martin Luther King Day!
Wednesday, January 17th:
• 8:15: PTA Executive Board Meeting: Principal’s Office Conference Room
• 6:30-7:30: Superintendent Coffee Chat: Bayside
Thursday, January 18th: Site Council Meets in Library at 7:30 AM.
Monday, January 22nd: 6:30 PM DELAC at College Park
Wednesday, January 24th:
• 8:15 AM Principal, PTA, PIP Coffee Chat: Agenda: Diving in to LCAP (Local Control Accountability Plan) and ELPAC, the new assessment that our EL’s will take to gauge their English Language Proficiency. This assessment replaces the former CELDT Test and is aligned with the State’s common core standards.
Friday, January 26th: SPIRIT DAY and PTA Treat: Career Day. Dress in your chosen career to pursue after college! Choose not to participate? Please wear your uniform.
Wednesday, January 31st: 6:30 PM, PTA General Meeting in the LGI: An evening opportunity for parents who cannot make meetings during the day. Babysitting Available!
~Pattie Dullea LEAD Elementary School Principal, firstname.lastname@example.org
A SAMPLING of LEAD’s JAN/EARLY FEBRUARY ENRICHMENT AUTHOR VISITS:
Signed Books can be pre-ordered. Look for the forms in the Thursday Packets. Enjoy the below web sites with your children since we have limited capacity in the LGI; Author Visits for Students and Teachers!
Grades 3,4,5 : In our ongoing Partnership with “The Reading Bug” from San Carlos, our 3rd, 4th and 5th Graders will be treated to an AMAZING and fun event here at school on January 29th! Thanks to the popularity of shows like Master Chef Junior, kid interest in cooking is “boiling” over. We are excited to welcome Chef Gino Campagna who will show our upper grade students that you don’t have to be a culinary expert (or a grown-up) to make delicious and nutritious meals. Chef Gino rubs elbows with Rachael Ray, Jamie Oliver and Jennie Garth and will again be seen by millions on A&E’s hit show Born this Way in 2018. This one-of-a-kind cookbook will take kids on a culinary adventure, teaching them simple recipes that are open-ended for creating original, yummy meals.
Here's a link to the book. Read it with your family before the 29th. Chef Gino does a lively cooking demo and brings everything that he needs--no stove required.
Here's a video of him with kids; enjoy with your family!
ABOUT THE BOOK: Easy-to-follow, open-ended recipes for both beginner and experienced kids!
• Easy-to-follow, open-ended recipes for both beginner and experienced kids who love to cook.
• Author is highly experienced in teaching kids how to cook, both in schools and on screen.
• Fun facts throughout each chapter that teach kids about the history of food.
• Photography and illustration provide readers with step-by-step guides for visual learning.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: For more than 15 years, Chef Gino Campagna has made it his personal mission to raise kids’ food IQs and help fight childhood obesity. His philosophy? If kids are involved in their food choices and preparations, they will be more motivated to try new, nutritious foods. In addition to starring in the kids’ cooking shows Kitchen Kids on YouTube and Gino’s Kitchen on the Disney Channel, serving on Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution team, and making guest appearances on A&E’s Emmy Award-winning show Born This Way, Chef Gino teaches kids to cook in Los Angeles and Italy. You can visit him online at chefgino.club.
Grades TK, K, 1 and 2: Date: February 1, 2018 8:30am LGI Who's Coming: Kenneth Wright and Sarah Jane Wright: Book: Lola Dutch (release January, 2018)In this startling debut picture book by spouses Kenneth and Sarah Jane Wright (I Heart You) we meet Lola Dutch, who “is a little bit much.” Beautifully illustrated by Sarah and delightfully written by Kenneth you will fall in love with Lola and her friends, Crane, Pig and Bear. Meet Lola Dutch, a delightfully creative girl who is bursting with grand ideas. From the best ways to serve breakfast -- an elegant feast! -- to the ideal sleeping spot -- a majestic blanket fort, of course! -- Lola is inspired all day long. Her dear companion Bear sometimes says she is just too much, but Lola is rich with imagination and originality, which even Bear will agree is AMAZING. The unstoppable Lola Dutch is about to show you how to make every day grand and full of fun. You'll love her so much! Inspired by their own four gorgeously feisty children, Sarah Jane and Kenneth Wright are thrilled to introduce the unstoppable Lola Dutch and her fresh, fun, commercial, character-driven series.
www.sarahjanestudios.com Check out these web sites with your family before the 1st!