January 15, 2015
Happy New Year to our LEAD Family,
Thank you all for your support and belief in "All Things Great" that are happening at our special school as a result of numerous efforts on the behalf of many people! A few examples are:
- The extraordinary efforts of our staff to enrich and deepen learning.
- The Rebranding efforts in which so many stakeholders have participated and given input to recognize our strengths, build on our Literacy efforts and explore new territories in Digital Literacy and Digital Arts.
- Our stellar Office Team of Denora Smith, Administrative Assistant and Erika Hoole, Office Assistant, who give professionally, unselfishly, with wisdom, talent, heart and soul to serve as the backbone of our school.
- Our PIP Team who support and enrich the lives of all of our TK-2nd graders and all of us!
- Our Local Control Funding Formula (LCAP) and Magnet Funding that set aside funds for this school year that helped fund our ELD teacher, our Reading Intervention and Reading Recovery Teacher, our 2 Reading Intervention Para-Professionals, our Full Day Kindergarten Instructional Support Teacher, our Teacher on Special Assignment (TOSA), our Half Day Tech Coordinator, our part time Digital Arts teacher, and Funding for Professional Development for our teaching staff.
- Did you know that having a Reading Intervention teacher, an ELD teacher and designated paraprofessionals who are trained in reading intervention reduces class size and allows for differentiation and scaffolding so that the learning needs of ALL children are met?
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT: Some examples of our Professional Learning for our teachers include participation in Year 2 of Early Literacy trainings this year, as well as on-going Readers' and Writers' Workshop trainings that have enhanced and enriched their teaching. Nine LEAD educators participated in Google for Education in Napa this past weekend .The team returned to the classrooms as students while at New Tech High School in Napa this past weekend to learn more about Google Classroom, Digital Portfolios, Resources for Tech Principals, Digital Photography and Story Telling, Puzzle Making, Mapping, to just name a few! Many thanks to Elisabeth Glikbarg K, Zoya Salameh 1, Matt Sullivan and Nicole Habeeb 2, Tim Merritt 3/Tech Coordinator, Heather Taft 4/ Special Education, Rebecca Slater 5, and Erin DeMartini, TOSA who joined me this past weekend.
TK/K INFORMATION MEETINGS: Come by the District TK/ Kindergarten Information Meetings for parents and the community this TUESDAY at the Bayside Performing Arts Center. Morning session is from 9-10:30 and evening session from 6-7:30. A team from LEAD will enthusiastically be there with our new LEAD banner and updated materials describing our new magnet theme as well as fliers with our TK/K Tour dates! Come on by!!!
Our LEAD TK/K and new family tours are all on Wednesdays at 10:30: January 14, Spanish speaking only,
21, 28 and February 4th, all English only. Spread the word!
REBRANDING UPDATE: Next Steps for our Rebranding include finalizing our Pitch Team who will promote our promotional video and marketing materials and meet with corporate funders and private donors to seek funding for our new magnet theme of Literacy and Digital Arts.
NO SCHOOL DAYS: Monday, January 19th is a school holiday to celebrate the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Tuesday, January 20th is a Staff Work Day, no students.
WEDNESDAY, January 20th: Return to school; Minimum Day, 12:20 and 12:28 Dismissal. Please pick up your children on time. We have an all staff meeting at 12:40 and office personnel will be participating.
STAFFING UPDATES: Jessica Stewart is joining our Horrall/LEAD family in Room 25 as the long term substitute while Mrs. Abbey is on medical leave. Please take a minute to greet Jessica and extend our warm Horrall/LEAD welcome! Chuck Bradley joins us as our PE sub. The District is moving towards Credentialed PE teachers who are trained in CA PE standards and who will be able to deliver the required minutes of PE. Coach Bill decided right before break to take advantage of a job opportunity closer to his home. We thank him for his service and dedication to the children and staff at our school. Our Reading Intervention teacher, Jackie Burnett is going on maternity leave this month and we are hoping to have her position filled soon; stay tuned!
GOOD NEIGHBORS: Please do not park in the Shoreview Park’s Parking spaces for their preschool program.