April 21, 2015
Dear Horrall/LEAD Families and Community,
CAASPP (California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress) SBAC Testing: The weeks of May 11-15 and May 18-22 are important weeks for our students and our school. Our transition to the Common Core Standards in English/Language Arts and Mathematics continues as we prepare for the Smarter Balanced Assessments (SBAC) that will be administered May 11-22 with our third through fifth grade students participating. Please help support us in providing the best possible testing environment for your children by ensuring the following:
- No unnecessary trips or appointments during the weeks of May 11-22.
- Arrival at school on time (testing begins first thing in the morning). Students should be at their classroom doors no later than 8:05, not being dropped off or running through the gate at 8:05.
- A Consistent pattern of sleep every night, at least 9 ½-10 hours
- Healthy breakfasts with fruit, protein and nutritious carbs
- Reminders to wear and bring glasses for reading or screen work
All assessments will be taken on our chrome book devices. Students have been preparing for this by using chrome books for all of their Galileo benchmark testing this year. A letter from the San Mateo Foster City School District regarding this new testing and accountability system is posted on our web site, our Front Office Face Case, and will also be sent home in hard copy on Tuesday, April 28th.
Common Core: Critical thinking, understanding and communicating ideas orally and in writing, and producing high quality work are all important components of the Common Core. Many of you have become more acquainted with the common core curricula this year by attending our PTA/Principal/Parent Coffees where we have had monthly presentations by our teaching staff on ELA/Math Common Core, Early Literacy with specific tips for how to best support your children at home. We will continue to provide these Parent Education Opportunities monthly; many thanks to all of our teacher presenters and Mrs. Correa who helped coordinate it all!
As we quickly approach the end of the year, please note these important dates.
- April 24: Free Dress All Classrooms who exceeded their goal for the Read-a Thon
- May 4-8: Teacher Appreciation Week coordinated by our PTA, thank you!
- May 18-21: Book Fair with Open House on May 21
- May 25: Memorial Day Holiday, no school! (Monday)
- June 3: Olympic Field Day AM (Wednesday)
- June 4: TK/Kindergarten Orientation 6:00 LGI (Thursday)
- June 8: Dr. Simms Horrall/LEAD Visit (Monday)
- June 11: Minimum Day, Last day of School, 5th Grade Promotion 10:30 (Thursday)
Thank you to our PTA for a happy and fun filled Bingo/Auction Evening last week, the District for finishing the new play structures project and all of you for your continued support!